1. What information do we collect?
2. How do we use your information?
3. Sharing your information
4. Protecting your information
5. Accessing and updating your information
6. Destruction of your information
7. Changes to our Privacy Statement
This Statement is provided for your information and doesn't limit or exclude your rights under the Privacy Act 1988.
1. What information does Vector AMS Australia collect?
We collect information relating to you that you or your electricity retailer has provided to us, to enable us to deliver a product or service.
The information may include your name, address, email address, telephone number(s), electricity usages, information on how you use our products and services, and anything we need to provide these products or services to you. We may also monitor and record your calls to us and our calls to you.
We collect personal information about you when:
- It is necessary to provide goods or services you, or your energy retailer, have requested;
- You have expressly consented to us collecting that information;
- It is necessary to protect or enforce our legal rights or interests, or to defend any claims made against us by any person (including you); or,
- It is required by law.
Where appropriate, we will collect the information directly from you otherwise we may collect information about you from your retailer or other third parties, for example from our contractors or data providers. Where these third parties act on our behalf, we ask that they hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
We may also use CCTV cameras to record footage at some of our sites. This footage may constitute ‘personal information' as defined in the Privacy Act 1988.
2. How does Vector AMS Australia use your information?
The information that we collect from you may be used by us for a number of purposes connected with our business such as:
- Supplying you with products and services on behalf of your energy retailer e.g. to install and maintain the meter at your property;
- Dealing with your requests, enquiries, complaints or other customer care related activities;
- Carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement on us or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- Carrying out activities connected with the running of our business such as personnel training, quality control, network monitoring, testing and maintenance of computer and other systems and in connection with the transfer of any part of our business in respect of which you are a customer or a potential customer of our contracted party; or
- For general administrative and business purposes.
CCTV footage specifically may be used for the following purposes:
- Detecting and deterring criminal behaviour on our sites; and,
- Monitoring the safety and security of our staff, our contractors and our sites, and completing incident investigations.
3. Sharing your information
There may be times when we need to disclose your personal information to third parties. We will only disclose your information to the following parties:
- Our group companies who may use and disclose your information for the same purposes as us;
- Those who provide to us or our group companies products or services that support the services that we provide, such as our field service providers and sub-contractors;
- Anyone who hosts or maintains data centres, service platforms and other infrastructure and systems on behalf of us and our group companies, where your information is processed;
- Third parties as explicitly requested by you; or
- Any person or organisation as authorised by the Privacy Act 1988.
Otherwise, we will only disclose your personal information without your consent if doing so is:
- Necessary to protect or enforce our legal rights or interests, or to defend any claims made against us by any person (including you);
- Necessary to lessen a serious threat to a person's health or safety; or
- Required by law.
4. Protecting and storing your personal information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and stored in a secure environment.
Most of the personal information we collect is stored electronically in our computer network. However, some personal information will be held in physical files at our offices located in Australia. We have reasonable security precautions in place, including user identifications and access passwords, to assist us in protecting your information from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
In circumstances where we transfer, process or store your information overseas, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient handles your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
CCTV footage will usually be retained for a period of 30 days, after which time it will be deleted, unless required by law enforcement authorities.
5. Accessing and updating your personal information
You may request access to the personal information we hold about you by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote your name and address. We would be grateful if you could also provide brief details of what information you want a copy of (this helps us to more readily locate your data).
In some cases, there may be a charge associated with providing copies of your personal information to you. If so, we will advise you of this prior to sending your information to you.
We will not be able to provide your personal information if we do not know or don't have reasonable grounds to believe it is personal information about you or if disclosing the information would involve the unwarranted disclosure of the affairs of another individual.
You can request correction or amendment of the information held by us at any time and as often as necessary by sending us an email to email@example.com and specifying the information that you require changed. If it is reasonable in the circumstances for us to do so, we will make the requested change or correction, otherwise we'll take reasonable steps to mark that information as having been subject to a change or correction request.
6. Destruction of your information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is appropriately disposed of once it is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected.